Central Scotland Tours
Central Scotland offers contrasting temptations, many of which can be enjoyed in a whole day tour, including:
- St Andrews, home to Scotland’s oldest university, founded in 1411, and the worldwide home of golf. See the Royal & Ancient Golf Club and walk on the hallowed turf of the Old Course
- The charm of the East Neuk of Fife (Scots for corner), with its picturesque fishing villages
- Falkland with its Royal Palace, the favourite hunting lodge of Mary Queen of Scots and other Stuart Monarchs
- A ferry trip to Castle Island on Loch Leven, where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned after being deposed in 1567
- Dunfermline is the ancient capital of Scotland. Here you can see the ruins of Dunfermline Royal Palace, birthplace of King Charles I and the medieval Abbey, where King Robert the Bruce lies buried. He famously won independence for Scotland at the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314. You can also visit the Andrew Carnegie Museum, where the “Steel King” was born in 1835
- Culross, a delightful restored 17th century village, once a bustling port trading with the Low Countries
- Appreciate the grandeur of the famous Forth Railway Bridge (1890) and the modern Road Bridge (1964) then visit the magnificent Linlithgow Palace a former Royal favourite and birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots
- Admire the 100ft diameter Falkirk Wheel, the only one of its kind in the world, completed in 2002 as part of the Forth and Clyde Canal restoration project. Close by is the Roman Antonine Wall
- Visit Stirling Castle whose magnificent Royal Palace was recently re-opened after a multi-million pound refurbishment.
- Follow in the footsteps of Rob Roy – Scotland’s most famous Highlander and real life version of Robin Hood! – through the rugged scenery of the Trossachs, immortalised by Sir Walter Scott in his epic poem, “Lady of the Lake”
- Explore Loch Lomond, Britain’s largest inland stretch of water, where you can admire stunning scenery and hear tales of bloody clan warfare!
Thank you so much for a wonderful tour of Scotland. It really surpassed all of our expectations and was an experience we will all remember fondly. It was such a pleasure meeting you.
Wayne – Austin, Nevada